Skip to main content

Christmas Adventures: Valkenburg Part 1

Today we explored Valkenburg which I was very excited about as they had Christmas Markets in caves! You had to buy tickets for the markets (to limit the number of people at one time) so we decided to go to the most popular one, the market in the Municipal caves, first. We got tickets for right when they opened.  

Heading inside!

And...this was incredibly disappointing! There were a lot of lights, which are most of the photos and were nice, but the booths were mostly cheap junk like carnival prizes or something. And not much Christmasy stuff. It was not what we were expecting. It was also 8,000 degrees inside and I was dying. We had our masks on, it was cold outside so all the layers, it was not great. 

It is also not a cave! It is a mine, which is a different thing so that was a further disappointment

The first parts were super crowded, but luckily as we went it got less and less (we were not spending a lot of time as there wasn't anything that interesting to look at) 

Once we got back outside we went back to the car to grab our lunch

And had a break to eat lunch in Den Halderpark. The sun even came out which was so nice!

We had tickets for another smaller cave for after lunch, but after the disappointment of the morning Raymond was like we don't have to go to that one. I thought yeah, but we did buy the tickets so might as well spy. If it is as disappointing as the first we just won't spend a lot of time there. But that is for the next post!


Popular posts from this blog

Campervan Adventures in Iceland: Ferry home - Tórshavn

The boat home was just as smooth and uneventful as the ride to Iceland. We left Iceland at 8pm Wed, Thurs at 3pm we arrive in Tórshavn and had a few hours to wander around, then back to the boat for the night, Friday was at sea, and Saturday we arrived in Hirtshals at 11am. 

Campervan Adventures in Iceland: Final Thoughts

That is it for our Iceland adventures! I wanted to post one last wrap up just to say a few things I didn't put elsewhere, or organize my overall thoughts in one place. 

The end

So it started raining on us for days and we cut out to come back to Seattle for a few days and wait for it to clear up.....and then Raymond decided he really did not want to go back out. So I at first was pretty upset cause I really wanted to get to Canada, or at least as far as we could while the weather was still nice this weekend. And I was feeling really like we were giving up for no reason. Like if one of us were injured or if I was hating it or something then I would have been better about it. But instead it was like the forecast called for gorgeous weather this weekend and we were just going to sit at home. I figured we could have at least gotten to the next stop and then only had one more chunk to do next year, but Raymond really didn't want to go back out so we decided not to. But hopefully by this time next year we will get the last 2 sections done, and maybe go back and do the section from white pass to snoqualmie as we went RIGHT by Mt Rainier and it is supposed to be g