Skip to main content

Tour du Mont Blanc day 3

Day 3. Les Chapieux to Refugio Elisabetta. It had rained all night and sounded super windy up in the mountains, there was fresh snow on the high peaks, but it was starting to clear up by morning. Since we have the uphill section first we always tried to get up and going first thing so we could get as high as we could before the sun came out of the clouds or over the mountains and made it a much slower climb.

The first part of the morning was a gradual road walk up to La Ville des Glaciers - those buildings on the left hand side of this photo. Yep, but that is it. It had a dot on the map, but there is really nothing there.

Continuing on we stopped for a break at Refuge des Mottets with my new bff donkey. He came over to say hello while we were sitting there. After this the trail climbs steeply up to the France/Italy border.

On our next break there were a ton of sheep being herded all over the place. This guy and his sheepdogs got them all moved from one side of the trail to the other. It was quite fun to watch as those dogs are really good at their job.

Walking through the sheep

Col de la Seigne - The France/Italy border. Beautiful. And downhill for the rest of the day.

Lots of marmots

And the view from Rifugio Elisabetta. Online it had said that there was camping here so we were planning on doing that, but when we got there it turned out there was none. We didn't know, but we could have hiked on a little ways and found a campground, but we decided to stop early since the next Refuge was a ways away. We originally wanted to sleep in a room instead of the big bunkhouse room, but we were not eating dinner there since they didn't have a vegan option and apparently you cannot have a room without eating as well. Honestly I would have paid to just have the room and food and been fine with that, but whatever. The big bunkhouse was just this 3 story bunkbed that lined the one wall. They really cram the people in there. You get part of a twin size mattress. So Raymond was sleeping by the wall and I was on the crack between two mattresses. Not very comfortable with scratchy blankets I put down to try and cover the crack and flat pillows that were almost like having nothing. Good thing we had everything we needed! I didn't sleep very well since there were just so many people getting in and out of bed and such. And that is part of the reason why I like camping better. You can sleep as late as you want, people don't usually bother you, it is just so much nicer! The rooms were much nicer than where we slept so if you do go and are eating dinner there definitely splurge for a room (even though it is 6-8 people per room you get your own twin mattress, nice blankets and pillows).


Popular posts from this blog

We are off!!

So Phillip and Dana were gracious enough to take us to the border on Friday afternoon and we started hiking! It has been amazing and fun and we have been meeting a lot of very nice people all over the place. On the second day we had this awful hike up a canyon that was just soooo hot and bleh and when we got to the top we met some people out day hiking who gave us ice water! It was amazing!! Anyways we cannot upload the audio or photos at the library here in Julian, so hopefully in Warner Springs we can get them up. The first days were really hot, but yesterday was freezing! We were very glad we had all of our gear with us as in the morning it was soooo cold and windy we had our hats and gloves and jackets and long underwear on. It was crazy how windy it was....literally blowing me over on the trail. I was glad I had my hiking poles as without them I am sure I would have fallen numerous times just due to the wind. We have been hiking pretty far the last 2 days, 15-16 miles each da

Railay Beach, Thailand - Day 1

  Getting to Railay Beach from Bangkok kind of takes forever. We had taken the overnight train from Bangkok to Surat Thai where we had to switch to a bus to take us to Krabi. I slept much better on the train that night. I had put in my earplugs and only woke up a few times. It was great. I woke up around 6 and was ready to go. Raymond was just like you are so wakey! I was just like yeah - I actually slept! So I was all refreshed and ready to go.    We had picked up some banana muffins in Bangkok for breakfast, as well as leftovers from our feast the night before, and the muffins were delicious! We should have gotten more of them than we did. So we got to Surat Thani and had to switch to a bus like I said. It was a bit confusing where we should go and what was going on, but we got on the bus and it took us into Surat Thani Town. That bus was really nice so I thought the trip to Krabi would be great. Only we had to wait a bit and switch buses and the new bus, the one that took us

Roller Derby World Cup, Manchester 2018

Last year was the roller derby world cup in Manchester! I love roller derby world cup! I love watching all the teams from all over the world and seeing how they have improved and oh it is so much fun!! Last year there were 38 teams! It was awesome. We got into Manchester at lunchtime and had a crazy big lunch at Mod's Vegan Cafe at the Thirsty Scholar which was delicious! Vegan English breakfast, a burger with fries and onion rings It was rainy so we didn't wander around much, but I made Raymond go out in the afternoon to check out The John Rylands Library which was super cool. And so many super old books! It is really the only sightseeing we did while in Manchester as we had so much derby to watch! Dinner at V Rev - soup, mac and cheese, and fired seitan plate - delicious! Waiting to get into roller derby - the line was sooooooo long! I should have printed off our tickets, but I forgot. It took over an hour to